November 16 at 9:30 am - 12:30 pm
Market Square Presbyterian Church,
20 S 2nd. st,
The Historic Harrisburg Association and the Harrisburg Chapter American Guild of Organists have created a unique event showcasing downtown churches and their organs, taking place Saturday, Nov. 16. From 9:30am to 12:30pm, the following seven downtown churches will open their doors, choir lofts, and organ consoles to visitors who wish to meander on their own to see, hear, and even play these unique instruments. Note: St. Lawrence will not be open to visitors until 10am
For a more structured morning, you may choose to follow the organ schedule, which begins with an introduction to the organ, then cycles through all seven churches in 2 1/2 hours with a 10-minute organ demonstration at each.
- 9:30 Market Square Presbyterian Church, 20 S. 2nd St. – introduction to the organ and demonstration
- 10:00 St. Stephen’s Episcopal Cathedral, 221 N. Front St.
- 10:20 St. Lawrence Chapel, 110 State St.
- 10:40 St. Michael’s Lutheran Church,118 State St.
- 11:00 Grace United Methodist Church, 216 State St.
- 11:20 Pine Street Presbyterian Church, 310 N. 3rd St.
- 11:40 Zion Lutheran Church, 15 S. 4th St.
There is no cost associated with the tour and no need to register in advance to participate. Simply visit these churches between 9:30am and 12:30pm, in random order or following the above schedule.
The purpose of the American Guild of Organists is to promote the organ and organ music in their historic and evolving roles, and to provide a forum for mutual support, inspiration, and education of Guild members.”
Questions about this tour should be directed to the tour organizer, Chris Prestia, Secretary, Harrisburg Chapter, American Guild of Organists, at 862-266-7333 or firstname.lastname@example.org.